Old 12-04-06, 01:40 PM
gbrandt

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
breezer uptown8 vs. cannondale street premium

Ok folks, I've spent about 6 hours combing every thread on this forum that's relevant so its time to post my own. I've narrowed down my choice in bikes to these two models. I was an avid cycler in my teens (I'm now 43) but the biking world and the equipment are so different now that I'm really starting over. I play softball and I golf. I'm in pretty good shape. If/when I ever get back to serious cycling (and maybe its never) I will purchase a good road bike in addition to this utility bike. I own my own businesses and if I do commute (I'm in Orange County, CA) it would be less than 2 miles each way, flat. I have LBS for each brand within a short distance. I have almost ZERO time for manual upkeep - it's get on and go save for checking the aire in the tires.

The main purpose of the bike is recreation - out with my wife and/or oldest boy who is 6, probably on a tandem attachment for now until he could keep up on his own. Maybe pulling my 2 yr old. Surface is mostly pavement with graded paths (equestrian bridle paths actually). Evening is a definate possibility, especially on the way home from the many parks that are reachable around here.

So - I know the "specs" for these two bikes. What I can't tell from the mfr web sites is the intended audience for them and if they are different. Is the audience a pure newbie? Are the components of these bikes decent? Is the Street a "higher end" bike than the Breezer? If so, why? The Breezer has 26" wheels, the Street 700C. Will that make a real difference on the dirt (aside from tire width)? Pulling my 2 yr old? I'm pretty sure it makes the Street "faster" but how much? 1 or 2mph? etc. etc.

With the Breezer 07 coming in at $1100, they seem to now be in similar price ranges, although with Street I still need to add the rack I believe, if not the fenders to the base price.

I bow to your collective wisdom on the differences between these two bikes. Any input would be appreciated.

-gb