Old 12-06-06, 02:40 PM
LittleBigMan
Sumanitu taka owaci

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by bikebuddha
37 years in Atlanta and I've seen it transformed from a sleepy southern capitol into a sprawling suburban behemoth.
I've lived/driven in the Atlanta area about 32 years. I know exactly what you're talking about.

The thing is, Atlanta is surrounded by lots of little towns. Each has it's own character. I live in Stone Mountain, but commute to Atlanta through Avondale Estates, Decatur and the Candler Park/Inman Park neighborhoods. The trip is very beautiful, but I'd have to say that the outermost portion between Stone Mountain and Avondale Estates is not for the inexperienced. But once you hit Avondale, the ride is very pleasant indeed.

I've rarely had any honkers. One I had was a MARTA courier in a sedan, who was quickly reprimanded when I reported him/her. After that, the driver passed me very slowly and quietly.

One thing I've noticed is Atlanta's desire to be known as a nice place to live (what city doesn't want that?) which is seen in an increased awareness of cycling as transportation. The city wants to attract people and business, and being "bicycle friendly" is one thing on the list of attractions it wants to be known for. Mayor Franklin took part in a ride from Roswell to downtown Atlanta last summer. The politicians want to be seen in a positive light.