race newbie
Where's the pack?

Bikes: '06 Scott Speedster S 20

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Got good news, bad news: Polar HR Monitor vs. VO2 Max testing

Some of you read before in my previous thread that I got a new Polar F11 in Oct to train with. It said my "Fitness Class" was "Elite" from Polar's internal "OwnZone" testing. The bad news, I went and got my VO2 Max tested yesterday, I actually am just average currently for my age group. The good news, my max heart rate previously thought to be 181 is actually at least 190.

The test was very inciteful as I was told I am very anaerobically fit, but I need lots of aerobic training to be ready to race in the spring. I have been subscribed 8-12 weeks of base training five times a week (with one longer 2-3 hour fat burn day), keeping my heart rate between 153-160 (as my lactate threshold is 161) with a cadence at least 80 or over to push that anaerobic zone out farther. She also mentioned with the diet I'm on (2 pounds and 1.5% body fat gone in a little over 2 weeks) and this training scenario I should be much faster and push into the above average VO2 ranking in as little as 4 weeks, but definately around 8-12 weeks. Does that sound about right to 'ya all?