Old 12-08-06, 12:07 PM
sunofsand

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are the spindles on older Campy pedals interchangeable?

My bike shop guy took a look at my Record pedals couple weeks ago cause I couldn't get the cleaned one to spin as nicely
I ordered some new bearings and packed with Finish Line grease
Still not smooth enough -too thick. I made up my own concoction of grease to try with parts Finish Line, Crisco LOL
chainsaw oil and a couple drops of FL Dry lubricant. Pedal spins as freely now as the uncleaned pedal but still not quite as quietly ..now it seems the "grease" isn't as *smushy* to damper the sound of the bearings rotating at higher speeds. -Nothing is pitted, there isn't any grinding.

Well, the bike shop guy ended up stripping the last two threads on the spindle. The locknut doesn't stay tight. I might have complained if I knew the threads were perfect prior to coming in ..but all I know is that the locknut stayed tight (the threads at that point may not have been stripped enough to notice)
I could probably thread for a smaller nut but that wouldn't be so cool. Can I take a spindle from another Campy pedal of any era and have it work or are there length/diameter or whatever differences between them?

The "original" grease is of a yellow, creamy color. I don't think it's discolored as the seller said it was packed fresh every year and the bike wasn't on the road much at all. I've read that all greases are basically the same ...why does there seem to be so much of a difference between the original (whatever brand it may be) and the Finish Line? I made a better spinning "thinner" grease in 5 minutes.

Any difference between grease sold specifically for bearings and Finish Line which seems more all-purpose? Could this original grease be campy grease ..that **** is outrageously expensive.