cachehiker
Soma Lover

Bikes: one bike for every day of the week

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I voted for my favorite, but I have several:

Mavic Ksyrium Elites (factory built, front rebuilt by LBS after a crash)
Mavic Cosmos (factory built)
28/32h Open Pros on Ultegra, DT Comp butted spokes (built them myself)
700c 36h Bontrager Mavericks on Ultegra, DT Comp butted spokes (built them myself)
700c 32h Sun CR-18's on LX, DT Champ straight spokes (built them myself)
32h Mavic 517's on XTR, DT Revo/Comp butted spokes (built them myself)
32h Sun 0-degree XC on XT, DT Comp butted spokes (built them myself)
32h WTB Dual Duty XC on LX, DT Comp butted spokes (built them myself)
32h Mavic 317's on Stout/Deore, straight 15g spokes (factory spec)

The last factory spec wheelset has been a big disappointment. The rear wheel is either machine or moron built and doesn't stay true for long. If I'm going to go through the trouble of detensioning and retensioning I would just as soon do a complete rebuild with DT Comp 14/15 butted spokes for better durability since that is my aggressive XC bike.

IMHO, the Ksyrium Elites don't offer that much bang for the buck either. The Open Pros on Ultegras seem much better for centuries and they're about $300 cheaper. I also love the stealth factor of riding standard 3X wheels amongst all the boutique setups and finishing just as strong.

My old road bike also had a wheelset built by the LBS, good but not great. They're in business to make a profit and aren't about to invest an extra afternoon of work to achieve absolutely ideal spoke tension. I don't always invest that much time myself but it took 4 hours before I was satisfied with the spoke tension on the 517/XTR rear wheel.