View Single Post
Old 12-08-06, 02:36 PM
jst0076

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by mx_599
why don't you share with us why you decided on these two brake sysytems? pros/cons of each? how you think they will complement your current bicycle? finally, why did you eliminate others?

this could be a catalyst for some healthy forum discussion
Its a real simple answer to that question. The brakes are to go on a frame I've been meaning to build up for a while, and I had decided on Hope Mono Minis as they had a good looks, were quite light had received good reviews and were relatively cheap. I wasn't in a rush to get the build finished as my old bike worked fine, but then it got stolen. Naturally I was gutted, as when the new build was complete the old one was going to be my commuter. Fortunately my insurance company have been really good so far, and although its going to be a while before I get any kit, they have agreed an amount with me. Which is why I'm now shopping around with more money than I had before. The Oro's have the looks, the (lack of) weight and reviews would lead me to believe they have good performance too, plus its not my money. Well technically it is but you know what I mean.

As for the Avid Ultimate's the helpful guy who's handling my insurance claim suggested I check them out before making a final decision, and from what I have seen they look good too. Hayes I ruled out at an early stage due to negative comments on mtbr.com. Maguras on the other hand I ruled out for pure cosmetic reasons in that I don't like the appearance of the levers.