View Single Post
Old 12-09-06, 09:26 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by roccobike
There's a fella in Durham, NC who refurbishes bikes for urban kids on his own. He's a retired RR engineer. His name is Lewis Days (not sure of last name spelling). I've brought him a few bikes including a nice old Concord. He is so well known around the central NC area, that the local governments bring him abandoned bikes from parks etc. His story has been published in local newspapers and one national publication, AARP I think. The last time I checked with him he's turned around something like 150-180 bikes to urban kids. There must be a special place in God's heart for him.
There is another one down in the Fayetteville, NC area Moses Mathis also known as The Bicycle Man he has been doing it since the early 90's. According to the website they have donated over 10,000 bicycles since 1991. I know of several church youth groups in the area that have done it on a smaller scale of perhaps 15-30 bikes a year. I guess it is never ending....

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon