Old 12-10-06, 06:33 PM
leejb2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old/New Campagnolo system compatibility

Hello,

I'm thinking of building up a new bike to try a different sized frame and to learn some more than rudimentary mechanical skills. For one reason or another, I've got it in my head that I'd like to put together a 10 speed drivetrain using some Super Record/Nuovo Record (derailleurs, cranks, bottom bracket) and some more modern parts (brifters, cassette). I've got a few specific questions, but would love to hear any advice/warnings that you might have:

1. As I understand it, all of the indexing is in the brifters, so older derailleurs should work fine as long as I don't exceed their capacity. Is this correct?

2. Can I use a newer bottom bracket with older cranks, or are the square taper dimensions different?

3. Would it be correct to assume that I can use modern pedals on Super Record cranks?

I really like the look of some of the Super Record/Nuovo Record components --- particularly the rear derailleurs and the fluted cranks. On the other hand, I also like brifters and the idea of a 10 (or 9, like I ride now) drivetrain. Is this just a silly idea, or is there a chance that I could make it all work?

Thanks!