View Single Post
Old 12-16-06, 08:15 AM
geo8rge

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
As a follow up to my review.

Thus far I was only able to mount a fender on the front wheel.

The place where the chain is fixed to the frame, the 'Dave Cam', has a bolt which came loose. It actually ate into the lug it was mounted too before the whole thing came apart. I suggest inspecting it regularly. I replaced the bolt with a clevis pin I bought a Loews.

The metal pulley the chain runs over got over tightened an stuck. This made rowing progressively harder, and damaged the chain and pulley. That should be inspected on each use. Disassempbly and greasing might help too. It would be nice if the pulley was replaced with a cog mounted on bearings.

The rollers on the sliding seat have shown significant wear. I rotated them. They sell replacement rollers.

I put Catseye Bar Ends on it. They were a great improvement.

Minor issues are: Aluminum head set screw stripped, I replaced it with steel. Steering cables get slack, and need to be adjusted. At some point hubs will need to be repacked and breaks will need adjusted.

Replacing bolts on the foot rests with wingnuts might make storing easier.

If you really want to know fixed gear conversion is probably impossible, and dangerous. But this gizmo might be a candidate for fixed gear conversion: http://champiot.com/.

Last edited by geo8rge; 12-17-06 at 07:43 PM.