Thread: Your Season?
View Single Post
Old 11-20-03, 02:50 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
well, first i have to say i'm surprized at how many of you are so new to MTBing and cycling... i started road racing as a college freshman (uh, 14 years ago!), then got into MTBing seriously starting in 1997... awesome that we have so many new enthusiasts!

my season is pretty much over although i do ride all year --- in winter i continue to commute to work (about 100km/week) plus i ride an average of about once a week on trails (january when things are frozen rather than wet is good) --- but the snow is already accumulating in the mountains (although we had 3 weeks warm weather and i had an awesome ride in the mountains last Sunday) -- i might take a mid-winter trip to southern Europe... otherwise my real "season" is over until late March/April when i make my first trip to Lake Garda Italy.

anyhow, this year was great for me, with the first half of the year devoted to getting fit and strong and race-ready and the 2nd half devoted to technical riding and Freeride stuff - after many years of MTBing i made some new steps:
* i was also very fit and did my longest race ever: the Lake Garda MTB EXTREME distance (in May) with 3650meters vertical (12,050 ft) over only 104km (65miles) -- i finished in 7 hours (first place was an amazing 4:45)
* i finally moved from doing XC racing/riding to technical/extreme/freeride -- no jumping or major drops or stunts, but extremely steep natural downhill trails and LOTS of vertical (now have full-face and armour)
* plus i completed my MTB Guide certification (German Alpine Club)
* and led my first "real" tour - a 9-day TransAlp MTB Tour with a group of 10 (plus me, co-guide and practicant) and got PAID to ride!

next year---->
* i will be continuing my MTB Guide training - the next level
* and offering more tours:
-- an 8-9 day TransAlp
-- a 3-4 day "freeride" clinic
+ not sure yet?
* plus leading moutain bike skills training courses -> teaching other how to ride
* am considering entering the TransAlp Challenge - the 8day, 20,000meters vertical "toughest mountain bike race in the world"... but my girlfriend and i are not sure if our vacation might be better spent on something else...
* want to do at least one Epic MTB vacation with some serious technical trails... maybe Canadian Rockies or Moab although there are lots of European options too...

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
But for now I semi-retire the bikes and buckle down and start working a lot of OT to bank time for the spring. I am already thinking of nextseason on the mountain. Cheers.
dude, you live in Whistler! learn to snowboard or ski --- or if that's _really_ not your thing try out a snow-bike or something... (pay for my ticket and i'll teach you personally, but there should be plenty of friends in Whistler to help - or ask a snowboard chick to teach you!)

for me the "end" of MTB season marks the beginning of snow season --- alpine skiing, snowboarding (mostly freeride/extreme stuff) plus ski touring and winter mountaineering -- in February i will be again entering the Damkar Ski Tour race in Germany with 1950meters vertical: climb (using skis and skins) from the base to the summit, ski half-way down, climb back up and ski down --- last year it conflicted with my Chamonix ski/snowboard trip but in 2002 i finished in just under 4 hours --- i'd like to get closer to 3 this year (the top pros finish in like 2:30) ---- and since i live right next to the Alps, the end of summer is not the end of mountain sports for me!