Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nathank
dude, you live in Whistler! learn to snowboard or ski --- or if that's _really_ not your thing try out a snow-bike or something... (pay for my ticket and i'll teach you personally, but there should be plenty of friends in Whistler to help - or ask a snowboard chick to teach you!)

for me the "end" of MTB season marks the beginning of snow season --- alpine skiing, snowboarding (mostly freeride/extreme stuff) plus ski touring and winter mountaineering -- in February i will be again entering the Damkar Ski Tour race in Germany with 1950meters vertical: climb (using skis and skins) from the base to the summit, ski half-way down, climb back up and ski down --- last year it conflicted with my Chamonix ski/snowboard trip but in 2002 i finished in just under 4 hours --- i'd like to get closer to 3 this year (the top pros finish in like 2:30) ---- and since i live right next to the Alps, the end of summer is not the end of mountain sports for me!
I hate the winter time. West coast is the easiest place to escape the nasty cold and horrible snow of the east, but I really don'tlike it. Snow bikes aren't allowed on the mountain. I do know many people willing to train me. More than my fare share of friends bug me to get out and try it. I am still considering. But with equipment being around 400 to 500 cdn then my snow gear (pants and jacket, gloves, helmet etc...) probably topping in at 400 to 500 and then my pass being 500 (for a 15 day) I can easily find something I prefer more to spend 1500$ on. ...

Now unless I can get an 'in' with a rental shop. Then I might be able to do it cheap