Old 12-20-06, 12:12 PM
dutret
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BostonFixed
Millions of people ride on 3/32" without issue. 3/32" chains on derailleur bikes are under more stress than on fixed gear bicycles. I agree on the chain wrap/teeth.
Did I once mention chain strength as being an issue? No.

Let me explain again.

The issue is that with the normal gearings people use for their ss and fg street bikes you are forced to put far more force on the pedals and consequently the teeth of the chainring. Hardly ever on geared bikes are people pushing as hard as they can with one foot while pulling as hard as they can with the other and there arms. The may be putting more tourque on the wheel then the ss rider but thanks to the mechanical advantage afforded by low gearing. The force on the teeth is a fraction of the ss rider mashing up a really steep hill, or a standing start.

A big strong rider will put so much force on the teeth that they will deform on a 3/32" chain ring amazingly quickly. If the ring is smaller it will happen even faster. This is a fact.

Therefore, a 250lbs guy or even a stronger(not necessarily faster) 180lber needs a 1/8th ring so they aren't trashing rings every 100miles. The need for a 1/8" chain is only to accomadate the larger teeth on the chainring.