genec
genec

Bikes: custom built, sannino, beachbike, giant trance x2

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13658 Post(s)
Liked 4,532 Times in 3,158 Posts
Originally Posted by Helmet Head
Yes, the idea that it's normal to have to slow down () for a cyclist up ahead and wait () until it is safe to pass is all too foreign to many people (including to many cyclists). The solution is to get more cyclists out there forcing motorists to slow down (so that it becomes more common, normal and, eventually, more accepted, like it is in low facility countries like Mexico and France).

Oh BTW... I nearly missed your rant at "facilities" there... Facilities have nothing to do with it... it is all about acceptance of cyclists as legitimate users of the road and cycling as a valid form of transportation. France has "facilities" too, and drivers seem to respect cyclists just fine, whether in a "facility" or not.

It is the motorists mindset that is the problem.

This was clearly proven to me when I toured in Baja and the Locals had no problem giving me half the road and passing when it was clearly safe for them to do so... yet not a single American would do that (I could tell by license plates). The Americans chose to crowd the cyclists as their solution to the situation.

This is NOT a Bike Lane or facilities issue, it is an American motorist issue.

Do I need to post pics of "facilities" in France? Such as their Bike Lanes, and even cooler bike stop lights?