View Single Post
Old 12-22-06, 06:47 PM
joejack951

Bikes: 2016 Hong Fu FM-079-F, 1984 Trek 660, 2005 Iron Horse Warrior Expert, 2009 Pedal Force CX1, 2016 Islabikes Beinn 20 (son's)

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 65 Posts
Crossing a double yellow to pass

How do you feel about motorists crossing double yellow lines to pass you when you are going considerably below the speed limit? For reference, every state vehicle code that I know of (feel free to correct me if I've missed any) makes it illegal to pass another vehicle by crossing a double yellow line. You are only allowed to cross double yellows to pass obstructions/hazards that make it impossible to continue on the roadway without crossing the double yellow.

I'll add that where I live, almost everyone will pass me on a double yellow without much thought, including cops and myself when I drive and encounter cyclists. Most are reasonable and will pass when there are adequate sightlines and clear road; others not so much. I prefer to be passed even with a double yellow as otherwise I am obligated to pull over and let traffic go by. As I'm often on roads with no shoulder and at best a driveway on occassion, pulling over can be inconvenient whereas it's often very easy for me to be passed even though it's marked as a no passing zone (it's miuch easier to pass a vehicle going 20-30mph under the speed limit than only 5 mph under).

My vote is for the second option. I ride in a centered position and will issue a stop signal to those who try to pass when it's clearly unsafe. If someone seems hesistant to pass and I know that there are no easy passing areas up ahead, I will encourage them to do so by waving them around me even though I know's it technically illegal.

Last edited by joejack951; 12-22-06 at 07:13 PM.