Old 12-23-06, 12:18 AM
DCCommuter
52-week commuter

Bikes: Redline Conquest, Cannonday, Specialized, RANS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I spent some time researching this, and came to the conclusion that in all of my local jurisdictions (DC, VA, MD) it is illegal to pass a bicycle on the double yellow. In fact, it is illegal to do so even if the lane is wide enough that it can be done without leaving the lane -- that's still passing, and it's illegal to pass any vehicle when there is a double yellow. I feel it is in the interest of cyclists to work to get the law changed to reflect common behavior.

The vast majority of drivers around here get it and wait for a chance and then go around. About one in thirty drivers absolutely refuses to pass under any conditions when there is a double yellow, and it drives me crazy. A slightly higher proportion will pass under any conditions, regardless of sightlines or the presence of oncoming vehicles, which I don't particularly like either. A handful try to pass without leaving the lane which isn't pleasant as well.
The United States of America is the only democratic nation in the world to deny citizens living in the nation's capital representation in the national legislature. District residents have no vote in either the U.S. Senate or U.S. House of Representatives. www.dcvote.org