View Single Post
Old 12-24-06, 01:42 PM
Thor29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wheel
I think I would just move closer to work. 3hr to and fro to work that is 15 hrs each week.

I try to keep my work commutes too 5 hrs a week. It also doubles as excersise so, even less time
I guess it is all about what you value most. One of the most important things to me is my location. There is a huge difference between living in San Francisco and living further south in one of the suburban towns. When I am not working I can easily get around by bike. The motorcycle never leaves the garage in the evening or weekends. If I lived south of here I wouldn't have much of a reason to leave home since there is nothing to do down there and nowhere to go (except back north to SF). Keep in mind the trains run only once an hour if you wanted to get back to the city. Not very convenient.

I commend you for being a cyclist in Phoenix though. I lived in Tempe for a few months and it didn't seem like a very bike friendly area. Not to mention the heat... Then again, South Mountain park was pretty close by for mountain biking and hiking. So every choice, every location, has its upside and its downside.

Part of the point of this post was that I would have loved to remain internal-combustion-free, even though I love motorcycles, but there aren't too many engineering jobs in the city. In a weird twist, SF is becoming a bedroom community for the super rich.

But yes, if remaining car (motorcycle) free were a top priority for me, the logical solution would have been to move closer to work.