Old 12-27-06, 09:18 AM
EnigManiac

Bikes: BikeE AT, Firebike Bling Bling, Norco Trike (customized)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by nollij
Question: since a flag (and I don't have one on my bent yet -just got it-) blows away from the direction of the wind, it's trailing edge should be facing towards overtaking traffic, which would mean that it presents a very narrow profile: how would this help? It seems to me that the FLASH FLAG would be a better option (though they are no longer available (at least that I can find). The link I just provided says that the guy who runs the site can still get them, but when I try to contact him, there's a verification process that requires you look at a .jpg file for a passkey, and the link to the picture is broken, so apparently, there's no way to get a hold of him to ask if he can still get them. DOH!

I rarely see other bent riders in my area, and when I do I never see them with flags, hence my question. Anyone have a link for buying a flag kit? I have recently acquired BikeE RX that I've just started riding, and I'm feeling a bit exposed, what with the black seat-back and all. One great thing I hadn't counted on: the ease of hand signaling on a bent: it's a lot more comforable to signal on a bent! Add in some glo-glovs and maybe the Safe Turn, though I have only used the Glo-Glovs (which work GREAT!)
I have ridden behind my son while he was on my Bike E and the flag is plenty visible. It doesn't represent a narrow profile at all because it flaps and flutters in the wind. The movement is very noticeable to motorists. They are rarely directly behind you anyway as the drivers side is far to the left of the vehicle and cyclists are to their extreme right, therefore they get a profile view of the flag. In the year I have been using it, I've even had a number of drivers mention what a good idea it was to have the flag, mentioning the movement and unusual shape made me more noticeable.

Perhaps there are better products out there. If there are, they may entice theives, particularly if they are not easy or convenient for you ro remove and store.