Cynikal 
Team Beer

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by JRSly
Alright, I am planning on building a lightweight 7-speed aluminum road bike. I want this bike to be really lightweight, and simple. I am planning on getting the parts and building it the rest of this winter and into the spring, so hopefully it will be ready to ride this summer. I have a great commuter (2007 LeMond Poprad), that gets me around no matter the conditions. I like to build things, when I was little and bored I used to take apart my BMX and rebuild it. Well, I haven't really worked with road bikes, I just got my Poprad last June, and since then I have fallen in love with bikes again and basically given up my car (I have average at least 50 miles a week since then, normally more though). Like I said, my Poprad is set up to be a commuting machine, so I have different plans for this bike. I want something really lightweight, fast, and simple that I can use as my cruiser in the summer to get around town when I am not carrying much stuff. I know I want an aluminum frame, I am planning on putting a single (somewhere around 50) in the front and a small corncob 7 in the back. Well, I was wondering the best way to build up this cassette/crank set. If possible I would like to use the 105 rear derailer off of my Poprad, and put a new Ultergra on my Poprad.

So here is the bottom line. I am looking for any input, and help anyone is willing to share with me on building this bike. Budget is kind of an issue so don't go over board, I do have limited funds (I am a grad. student).

Thanks in advance,
Sly
It sounds like you need to find out if you have a local bike co-op. Ours here in Sac is full of 7 speed parts, they are most of our donations.