View Single Post
Old 11-28-03, 10:45 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by Maurizio

I know most of you have jobs and families and can't ride this much, so don't start flaming me -- all I'm suggesting is overloading for three days on the weekends. Don't go easy on yourself. You WILL feel $hitty on sunday. But after you're fully recovered, you will have actually done some serious improvement.

This is the fastest way to improvement. You'll be surprise how much stronger you are after a few months of overloading on the weekends.

It's pretty simple really.

- Maurizio
Whooo... Maruizio! The weekend warrior is not the way to go- that is a cause of a pretty high proportion of injuries I've seen over the years. Weekend warriors are those people who don't exercise during the week, then overtrain (or they'd call it work out strenuouosly or something PC like that) Fri- Sunday. The problem is, during the week, when little or no exercise is done, the muscles are not being utilized enough for the amount of stress you suddenly exert on them for the weekend exercise. If this guy is trying to avoid overtraining or injuries related to training, I would run as far away from the weekend warrior type training as fast as possible.

Those people who outlined using a periodization program would definitely be the way to go- you could build strength and endurance as the months progress, and by summer, you should be ready to hit the roads, and you'll be properly trained for those high stress rides.

Koffee