Old 12-29-06, 04:11 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by bobchmara
I've spent a couple of hours searching the forums for crank/bb combos that provide a straight chainline for a bike with a Nexus 8 hub. The Harris site gives the crank info for the San Jos8, as does a thread here about a nice Schwinn World Voyageur (http://bikeforums.net/showthread.php...xus+8+schwinn). However, neither one states the bottom bracket info.

I know I can change the chainline by flipping the cog, and I've read that a straight chainline is essential for a Nexus 8. So what crank/bb combos are people are using with their Nexus 8's? A chain recommendation would be appreciated too.

Thanks,
Bob Chmara
As light and strong as Octalink BB's are, I would go with a square taper. There are only a few sizes availabe in Octalink. The square taper must have 20 different lengths. Please don't quote me on that. What I'm trying to say is, you stand a better chance of getting the chain line correct with the larger selection of square taper BB's. JIS BB taper went from 103 to 122mm, with a lot of sizes inbetween. Good luck and let us know how it comes out.

Tim