Sheldon Brown
Gone, but not forgotten

Bikes: See: http://sheldonbrown.org/bicycles

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by hoss10
I have just read the great responses from people below on which hub to use. I too decided on XTs (I found some older models which are said to be stonger). It was nice that Sheldon Brown confirmed my choice.

Now I have to decide on rims. I'm a very heavy/tall rider (295, 6'5") who is building up a touring bike on 700 rims. I have used Suns in the past with good results (Rynos and Ryno Lites) on a MTB bike. The Velocity name keeps coming up, but a wheel builder guy I know does not like the lack of eyelets.
It's a common assumption that heavy riders need heavy rims, but I don't believe it's true. A wheel's strength (of not going out of true) comes from its spokes. A well built wheel with enough spokes for the application will stay true and won't break spokes, regardless of what rim is used.

If your rim gets dents (as opposed to going out of true) that's an indication of inappropriate tire choice or insufficient tire pressure.

The Rhyno Lite is a good choice if you want to run very wide tires, and it is also good as far as brake pad wear is concerned, but I woudn't recommend it for most touring applications.

I like the Sun CR-18, also the Mavic rims. Some of the lighter Mavic rims have had issues with spoke pull through, but this is usually associated with cheaping out and using straight gauge spokes (always a false economy) or excessive tension.

My own choice would be the Mavic Open Pro, for any tire narrower than 35 mm.

Sheldon "Not Much Experience With Velocity" Brown
Code:
+------------------------------------------------------+
|  It were not best that we should all think alike;    |
|  it is difference of opinion that makes horse-races. |
|                                       -- Mark Twain  |
+------------------------------------------------------+