Thread: Clydesdale Rims
View Single Post
Old 12-29-06, 01:24 PM
maddmaxx 
Boomer

Bikes: Diamondback Clarity II frame homebuilt.

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16098 Post(s)
Liked 1,457 Times in 1,064 Posts
I must appologize in advance because I never ever thought that I would disagree with Sheldon.

I believe however that the greatest problems for Clydes is the D'ing or flat spot developed at the bottom of a bicycle where it contacts the ground. This flat spot is not resisted however by the spokes pushing it away from the hub, (there is effectively no spoke strength in this direction) but rather by the spokes at the top of the wheel pulling the hub up toward the center of the rim. This force is distributed to the bottom of the wheel by the hoop strenght of the rim. It is my opinion that for Clydes the stiffness of the rim is of paramount importance to prevent this flat spotting effect.

Having said this, I agree that more spokes help, probably because of less movenent of each spoke in the hole at the hub. Possibly also because more spokes provide more pulling vectors in the upper half of the wheel and thus distribute the load more evenly.

Double butted 2.0/1.8 spokes are prefered over straight 2.0 spokes and for Clydes, spoke washers are useful to lessen spoke movement at the hub and unlimate breakage.

Sheldon, 3/4ths of what I know about bicycles I owe to you and your articles. Thanks.