Old 12-30-06, 08:37 PM
smurfy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sbarner
This isn't exactly a mixte, but it was Schwinn's finest in 1973. I purchased the bare frame a couple of years ago and built it up as original from the headset and seatpost down, with the exception of the pedals and rubber. The pedals are steel Campy instead of the stock alloy-caged version. The tires are still vintage, being the inappropriately named Clement Gentleman 27x1. Oh, and the rims are not correct, as I used a pair of Weinmann Concaves that I had kicking around and those were not available until 1977.

The stem is a 3TTT and the bars are modern alloy, with the finish polished off. The brake levers are blue Dia Compe, sized for smaller hands and the shifters are 2nd-generation Deore XT set to friction mode. Saddle is a Terry.

My wife absolutely loves this bike. She has some joint issues that make riding drop bars painful after a while. The tight, upright riding position that this setup offers feels great to her, visibility is excellent, it's easy to get on and off, and the bike is quite light. Index shifting would be nice, but so is riding an unusual classic. I would have preferred to use period correct bars and controls, but much of these components were what was on hand and the tourist levers of that era can't hold a candle to mountain levers in the safety department. The trickest component is the Campy DT cable stop / pump holder. The most outrageous is the Paramount headbadge that cost me almost as much as I paid for the frameset.

This photo was taken on the bike path in Stowe, Vermont.
That is a very beautiful bike. Your wife must be proud!

I restored and modernized a '73 Raleigh Sports a few years ago for my wife but it got stolen.
I just recently acquired a new-condition lugged-steel Giant RS920 womens frame and I'm wanting to get that built up.