View Single Post
Old 01-01-07, 10:59 PM
Tom Stormcrowe
Out fishing with Annie on his lap, a cigar in one hand and a ginger ale in the other, watching the sunset.

Bikes: Techna Wheelchair and a Sun EZ 3 Recumbent Trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by DLpuck
I'm hoping to return to to riding after a long hiatus (20 yrs) and to eventually lose my status as a Clyde sometime in the next year or so (5-9 - 250 Lbs.). I've been training for the last 3 months on an indoor stationary bike (LifeFitness C9i), ride 4-5 days per week (30-45 minutes per day) with one day a week up to about 90 minutes and 30 miles.
I've been surfing the Clyde forum for some time and would like to ask for some input.
I need to purchase a new road bike to do some daily and weekend riding once the weather here in Michigan is a little better. I also intend on buying an indoor trainer so that I can get used to riding a regular bike as opposed to the stationary bike all the time.
After visiting a number of LBS's in the area, I've settled on one very close to my home. They are recommending that I consider the Trek 1500 (they suggest it is a good bang for the buck) and it is in my price range. I was somewhat concerned with the Bontrager Select wheels (20 spoke pattern, 2 very close together in a 10 pair format). The LBS is assuring me they will be fine for my weight but I was wondering if anyone else has had any experience with these wheels lugging a Clyde's butt around city streets.
Any help will be appreciated.
Straight up.....I'm running a 40 spoke rear and 36 spoke front on my primary ride.....then again, I ride a touring bike. My Mountain bike also has 40/36 spoke combo. The bike I race with has 36/36 combo. I haven't had a wheel problem yet and do a light truing every couple of years and by the end of summer, I am still true as far as the wheels go.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." - Immanuel Kant