View Single Post
Old 01-04-07, 07:12 PM
CrossChain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
On a whim, and after some internet research, and a test ride, I bought a 6 yr old, low mileage Rans Tailwind last March. (The price was right, and I didn't fall over on the test ride.) My Novara Big Buzz hybrid, which I really like, hangs neglected in the garage. My only upright miles in recent months have been with the wife on our tandem. A "comfort" road bike with carbon fork, stays and non-racing-position drop bars, would likely be more comfortable than a hybrid with flat bars but would not come close to the comfort of many recumbents. Come to the dark side and enjoy cycling while sitting in the comfy chair.
I owned a Tailwind for a year and road it regularly but not as often as my roadbike. It was enjoyable and I thought I had "done" the bent experience. Then I test road a EasyRacer Tour Easy long wheel base (longer than a Tailwind) with a fairing. At first I felt like Casey Jones and the bike a locomotive. But as the bike picked up speed, and then more speed, and then more speed.......well, there is a difference between style of bents. The lwb bent felt ungainly to me at slow speeds, but I was not really accustomed to it.

Anyone trying bents, try to ride a short wheel base with higher bottom bracket as well. Exciting new territory you might be entering.