Old 01-12-07, 06:11 AM
onbike 1939

Bikes: Airnimal Chameleon; Ellis Briggs; Moulton TSR27 Moulton Esprit

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3291 Post(s)
Liked 827 Times in 583 Posts
cyccommute Quote< Another trick is to try to distill your observations after the trip is over. Give it some time to ferment (not too much) and then start writing a little at a time.>

I think this is about right. A poet talked of his poetry as "Passion recollected in tranquility" and perhaps that goes for journals also.

Human beings do have a built-in tendency to forget the negatives, and this is needed in order to give us the optimism necessary to go on with our life even after many set-backs. Not to have this trait would be to give in to despair.

As regards the writing of journals, nothing is more depressing for me, than to read of someones trip in a foreign country which is complete with photos, route maps et al, but with no record of any meaningful conversation with a native. And this on a bicycle, the great leveler, the vehicle most open to human interaction. That does sadden me I admit, for where is the joy of touring in foreign lands without some insight into the life they lead and their values, hopes and aspirations.