Old 01-13-07, 11:07 PM
jwc

Bikes: Specialized (2) Trek 400, Raleigh 3spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Biketime
It's something I'd even consider supporting. They are required on cars and motorcycles as helmets for the latter are not here in Ohio.

As I lost some hearing, I've been riding with a helmet mirror since about 1989. Personally, I don't understand how one can ride w/o one. You wouldn't want to drive a car or motorcycle w/o one, so why not a bike? It adds 180 degrees to the field of vision, and that ain't unimportant. It also allows one to look a vehicle back and let it know you know of its presence w/o turning all the way around preventing possible drift into the center of the lane.

I am seeing more cyclists with mirrors every season.

Just a thought.
I mentioned it because of any safety legislation that could be offered as law, this is one I would agree with. I also feel it is the one safety item that should would make a bigger difference that a helmet. A mirror has the potential to prevent an accident, not try to "save" you after the fact.

Once, mirrors were the domain of the Freds for me. I never had a problem with people cutting me off when I lived in California, but here in NC, it is a problem. It has made a big difference for me in the number of "close calls".