Old 12-17-03, 12:19 PM
EBasil

Bikes: Manitou SS, Trek 69er SS, Fisher Cake DLX1, Breezer Beltway 8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by eric streeper
I have a 1995 Specialized StumpJumper M2. It's been around a while and has a lot of miles on it.

I was planning on replacing it by building-up a bike, possibly with a Salsa Ala Carte, Rocky Mountain Blizzard or Yeti ARC frame. Each of those frames is pretty expensive, so I was considering my other options, like rebuilding my old M2 frame. I mean, the frame is in good shape (no dings, dent's or cracks), the bike has always fit me well and it would save up to $1000.

I'm worried about the frame. Does anyone have any expirience or advice in rebuilding older aluminum framed bikes? How much of a concern is metal fatigue?
Those frames were so overbuilt, there's no reason why you can't just update it --except that it's designed for a fork with 65-70mm of travel, so modern, longer forks will affect the head tube angle and steering.

It's popular to warn people that aluminum frames are only good for one season, or dry out in the sun, or will suddenly snap and crack in half when they turn 3, or other idiot lunacy that dingbats like to repeat after reading a magazine or a bulletin board. Hopefully, you don't get a glot of those kind of responses here. If you are using the bike to take 35' drops (like all we rad dudes do), it will break, just like a cast-iron, steel, carbon, thermoplastic or beryllium frame will. If you are using it to ride trails like you always have been, it will be fine for a long time.

That said, the fork upgrade issue is a legitimate one. You might want to consider building up a non-name brand frame that's still swank. For example, did you know that Jenson USA's house brand hardtail is identical to a Santa Cruz Chameleon and built in the same (Kinesis ) factory but sells for much less? There are a lot of other options out there, too, and then you could have a PAIR of bikes... Nice to have a loaner.