View Single Post
Old 12-18-03, 02:43 AM
naisme
Friend of Jimmy K

Bikes: A lot: Raliegh road bike, 3 fixed gears, 2 single speeds, 3 Cannondales, a couple of Schwinns

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Bah Bah Black Sheep have you any wool?

I recently purchased a Perl Izumi wind shirt with zip off sleeves. It really is a cool shirt. I also listened to my LBS dude who said wear it over an old wool sweater. We had discussed my problem of sweating in the gear I was riding in and getting cold on the commute to and from work.

I tried it with an old heavy wool sweater I have and that was a little too warm. So I tried a lighter wool sweater, still too warm. So, I hit the consignment store I live above, and purchased two 100% lambs wool italian sweaters, with collars, and tried one out tonight. Not only was I toasty, but the wool helped keep the moisture of my perspiration away from the base layer. The sweater, like my base layer was also dry by the time I was ready to go home. Past experience with some layers the base may be dry but the outer layers were still damp, and got cold out on the trail.

I had my doubts that I'd find a working combination, but this works so well I thought I'd share it. Looking forward to the days I'll spend out on the bike in some sub-zero stuff and see what happens. Figure all I have to do is add a long sleeve poly-pro shirt and I'll stay warm all winter.