Old 01-15-07, 10:54 AM
dminor 
Moar cowbell

Bikes: Bike list is not a resume. Nobody cares.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
A lot of the ideas thrown about already exist in something I can already get. Hopper, thanks for giving the OP a very thoughful reply.

If I were to spec my 'ideal' "extreme downhill" (whatever that means) bike, it would have:
  • High bottome bracket (for clearance)
  • Low center of gravity (all of the suspension/linkage/whatever weight concentrated low in the frame)
  • 12" of travel front and rear but still very pedalable (hey, I'm talking ideal here)
  • Changeable axle path by moving pivot bolts (rearward for courses with a lot of square-edged hits; more vertical path when that's not needed)
  • 64 degree or slacker head angle
  • Longish swingarm (like the original Rotecs) that concetrates cockpit center to where the front end can be weighted on bermless corners (like a motocrosss bike)
  • Gearbox drivetrain; but I don't want the box to be a stressed-member part of the frame (like the V-Boxx protos I've seen)
  • No seat tube/seatpost; but a long, narrow seat that I can slide way up on to weight the front
  • Oh, and still as close to 40# as it can get (yeah, right!)

Brooklyn actually made a TMX prototype once that was very similar to this, except it was like a 50#+ bike. I'm looking, I guess, for an RM125 that pedals