SSP
Software for Cyclists

Bikes: Trek 5200, Specialized MTB

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Monoborracho
There you go again, professing to know what accuracy is (enforcing your name calling) and making fun of a place in Texas because I live here.

Since you are atheistic what do you really know about fundamentalism? And why does it bother you?
The "accuracy" line was another joke (thus, the smiley).

As for the rest:

a) I grew up in north Texas (north of Dallas), and visit family there at least once per year, so I know the area and its religious culture pretty well.

b) While I'm a card-carrying "secular humanist", I have many friends who are Christians. My brother is a lifelong committed Christian who is very active in his church...and yet, he would agree with me that Haggard, Robertson, Dobson, and others of that ilk are "fundamentalist whackos".

c) Fundamentalists worry me when they get into positions of power because it's very difficult to have a dialog with someone who truly believes he's on a "mission from God" (very similar point of view as Osama bin Laden, for instance). And I don't want my kids taught nonsense (like, that the earth is only 6000 years old, and the Grand Canyon was formed by Noah's flood ).

d) As for what I really know about fundamentalism...well, this is the 50+ forum. Like most members, I've been around a half century, and have studied religion, politics, etc. during that time. It's not rocket science...