View Single Post
Old 01-18-07, 08:26 PM
Mr. Gear Jammer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Asyrol
Back in April 2006, I got my first bike in an effort to get a little more in shape and lose a little weight. I've got almost a dozen diagnosed conditions, though the major four are migraines, fibromyalgia, endometriosis, and a lupus-like autoimmune disorder which causes fatigue and joint pain and swelling in my hips, knees, feet and hands (among other things). I was doing pretty good through the summer health-wise (few migraines, little endo pain, moderate join pain) and was riding a few times a week. Then in July I had a huge flare of the pseudo-lupus and was barely able to walk, let alone ride my bike. It took me most of July and part of August to start to feel reasonably normal, and by that time I was out of the habit of riding. I got out on my bike a couple of times after that, then it got cold and I started having some serious endometriosis pain.

All of that is just a long winded and detail rich way of saying that this winter I have barely been on my bike. I had this grand plan that I would steal my boyfriends trainer and I would go back to riding! Every Day! In the comfort of my own home, what's stopping me?! Except it's been 4 months and I've been on my bike maybe a dozen times. I've tried to start up again and I can barely mange 15 minutes a day with almost no resistance.

For those of you living with chronic pain conditions, how do you stick with it? Stay motivated? Get back in the habit after a long hiatus?

Thanks in Advance

Well hello, i too am in severe pain. I endure it every day, 24 hours a day of the year. Infact i am back pain right now. I block it out, listen to music while riding. Keep telling my-self that doing this will make me live 10 more years. I have had: Samonilla posioning, Lyme Disease, West nile. I have ashtma and suffer from depression as well. I get injured a lot. My knee's swell up really bad too. Yet i managed 3,000+ miles last year. I ride on my trainer. No wind, you can stop when you want to. Start out 15 minutes a day for a couple times a week. Then slowly add to the bike riding time and ride little bit more and more every month. I hope this helps.

Mike