Old 01-22-07, 10:22 AM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1244 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 702 Posts
Set my own personal best (or personal stupid, depending on your POV) for low temp riding this weekend: Sunday it was 23°F when we started out. I am now confident and will go on record as saying I am all set for legs and torso down to the coldest imaginable temps: a Sahalie/Early Winters polypro "Furnace Shirt" as baselayer, some generic long sleeve polyester jersey, and finally my 10-year-old Performance fleece jacket with the windproof panels on the front. And 10-year-old Performance Thermastat tights over whatever cycling shorts du jour. That's it, I could probably ride down below 0°F and my legs & torso would still be cozy in that combination...almost too cozy. (Anyone know of a current cycling tight made from Thermastat? This stuff is amazing...but Performance no longer makes these.)

The problem is, I still don't have an acceptable solution for fingers & toes. Bought some new Specialized Sub-Zero gloves. Didn't work, fingertips still numb. Tried combining the outer shell of the Sub-Zeroes over my old winter gloves (Performance neoprene w/ leather palm), nope, fingertips still numb. Guess I gotta go with mittens, or lobster mitts?

And I've got Wigwam Merino wool socks inside my MTB shoes with Gator neoprene booties...uh-uh, toes are numb. Tried 2 pairs of wool socks, that was *worse*! Maybe I should try neoprene toe warmers under the booties? I hate to resort to plastic bags around my socks, I'd like my feet to stay somewhat dry. And I'm kind of opposed to chemical or electrical warmers on principal. Are winter cycling shoes, like the Lake's or Sidi's appreciably warmer than regular cycling shoes?

Last edited by Bob Ross; 01-22-07 at 10:28 AM.