View Single Post
Old 01-22-07, 10:29 AM
NoReg
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Thomas Stevens cycled around the world on a penny farthing (as you probably know). There are any number of bikes available for 80 bucks that would have been a big improvement. My parents toured in Ireland post WWII and used a single speed and a 3 speed with drops, heavy primative bikes with miniscule paniers. They were still around when I was growing up. Lots of people in Africa cycle every day with whatever they have.

In my experience, particularly if it's not to technical, like nobody free solos 5.13 rock climbs simply out of enthusiasm, it's often the people who don't know too much who have the best success. I have even seen that in rock climbing at reasonable levels. As Tilman once said in response to the question of how he had managed to make so many impressive expeditions, what the trick was, he said "just put on your boots and walk out the door". My wife does not seem interested in africa. But she can go on a bike trip with seemingly pennies in her pocket, get something from a thrift store when she arrives. Now she has a mountain bike, what an upgrade, she's spoiled now.