Old 01-22-07, 09:20 PM
GeoKrpan
George Krpan

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You're 22 years old and you've had that bike for 10 years. That means you got it when you were 12.
I would say that that bike is now too small for you.
You can easily spend what a new bike costs getting you old bike roadworthy.
Get a new entry level mountain bike from one of the major makers. Ride a few different sizes before you decide which size to buy.
A 32 spoke mountain bike wheel is plenty strong for touring. Have the bike shop check the wheels carefully for even spoke tension. It would be helpful to tell them about your touring plans.
My local bike shop allows customers to swap the knobbies for smooth road tires at little or no cost.
Get the largest tires you can get, 2.0 inches or larger.
My LBS charges for saddle upgrades so be prepared to pay extra for that.
I think all you need is bar ends. A drop bar is an expensive modification. You need the handlebar, shifters, brake levers, handlebar tape, new cables and housings, and most likely a new stem. There would also be the labor charges to install it all. V-brakes are not compatible with road bike brake levers so you would have to buy problematic adaptors or new cantilever brakes.
The stock gearing on a mountain bike is perfect for touring, no changes needed.
Typically, entry level mountain bikes come with a suspension fork without a lockout. But, they always have preload adjusters. I think that if you set them at the firmest setting that that would be sufficient. No need to get a solid fork.
My LBS sells Specialized and Trek. The entry level Specialized outsells the Trek by a wide margin. There is good reason for this, it's a much better bike, and only a little bit more expensive. I recommend the Hardrock Sport for $390. The Hardrock XC is $330 but I don't think the $60 savings is worth it. By the way, the Hardrock Sport comes with 36 spoke wheels. It also comes with an 11-32 8 speed cassette. The 11 tooth gear will give you an adequate top speed. The saddle looks very good and it comes with a very comfortable riser handlebar. Buy the size bike that makes you lean over a little bit to reach the handlebars. That puts you in a much more aerodynamic position than sitting up straight. It's also much easier on your butt.
Of course, the components are not high end but they are plenty good. A good running bike is more a matter of maintenence and proper adjustment. Learn how to adjust derailleurs, brakes, and spokes before you go on your trip. It's not hard and you will have a lot more confidence. Buy your bike and ride it a lot before you go on your tour. You want to work out any teething problems before you go on your tour. Teething problems are fixed for free in the warranty period.
The last time I checked there is a one year warranty from Specialized and there are Specialized dealers all over the country. The Shimano parts have a 2 year warranty and that would probably be honored at any bike shop.

Last edited by GeoKrpan; 01-22-07 at 10:26 PM.