View Single Post
Old 01-24-07, 11:35 AM
stapfam
Time for a change.

Location: 6 miles inland from the coast of Sussex, in the South East of England

Bikes: Dale MT2000. Bianchi FS920 Kona Explosif. Giant TCR C. Boreas Ignis. Pinarello Fp Uno.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Xanti Andia
One more thing, I'd go with the strongest rim I can find but stick to the standard spoke count, again in South America you will be able to replace a rim if your hubs have a standard number of spokes, if not you are back to shipping, you wont want to carry a spare rim around your trombone.
The 26" wheel with 36 spokes is a standard rim that should be obtainable everywhere. Good wheels- or even custom built wheels, are not that expensive but for the trip you are contemplating- I would suggest that you go over the top and get a Freeride or even full downhill spec wheel set built. 8,000 miles ago I went for a set of custom built Full downhill spec wheels and other than the occasional spoke tweaking to retrue- they have lasted well. In fact I have just had them rebuilt from the hub up and 2 new bearings and a retrue is all they required. The bearings were not too bad but as they have lasted 8,000 miles and the next rebuild will be the same milage-I had all 4 bearings changed.

Spike Milligan