View Single Post
Old 12-31-03, 11:29 AM
Pat

Bikes: litespeed, cannondale

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I read the article and the guy is not accurate. I found the following glaring errors and there are many others in the article.

Glaring Error #1
He says riding is 14 times more dangerous then driving. Actually cycling is twice as safe as driving per hour in the USA. That includes all cyclists. If you look at experienced cyclists, they are probably 10-20 times as safe as motorists. I doubt the figures in Great Britain are that much different then the USA.

Glaring Error #2
He claims the average car produces only 3 times the emissions of a cyclist. Well my compact car gets about 3 miles per lb of gas. Gas is a fat. I get about 70 miles per lb of fat. So as a cyclist, I am about 23 times as efficient on my bike. Also my fuel is renewable and a car's is not.

Glaring Error #3
He claims the average car is cheaper to run then a bike. Nonsense. Even using pretty top of the line stuff, you can operate a bike for about 5 cents per mile. Auto insurance alone costs more then that. Autos cost well in excess of 30 cents per mile. Now, if you want to get involved in skin flint cycling, I think you can easily get your cost to about 2 cents per mile.