The CLYDE
Clyde Rider/Racer

Bikes: Surly CrossXCheck & Cannondale F3000

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigbossman
Here's a pic of me last September, summiting the last of three 8,000' climbs during the Sierra Fall Century.

About 4 years ago, I was a hefty 272 lbs. I got tired of being overweight, so I hit the gym and started losing weight slowly but surely. After losing about 20 lbs, I plateaued hard. I started eating more sensibly - no "fad" diet, but 5 small low-fat low-sodium meals a day with a balance of lean protein, "good" carbs, and plenty of steamed fresh vegetables. In addition, I took up cycling. I lost an additional 25 lbs, and plateaued hard again. Try as I might, I could not get past 225 lbs, despite spinning 5 days a week, riding on the weekend, and paying attention to my diet. Last year I logged 3182 miles and 9 centuries, with no net effect on my weight. I am a lot stronger, though, and cardio endurance is vastly improved.

For the last two years, I've ramped up my cycling kept in good shape, and pretty much maintained the 230 lbs you see in the photo. I do eat junk once in a while, but not much - my eating habits have really gone through a total transformation. I would like to lose 20 more lbs, though.......

As an ex endurance racer/rider and now a severe Clyde, let me tell you...A guy that can handle multiple 8000ft climbs, a century and 3000 plus logged miles in a year - Who gives a damn what the scale is telling you, if you're healthy and happy, your sig. other is happy all the rest is so unimportant.