Old 01-27-07, 10:22 AM
balt_philly1

Bikes: Mountain, Fixed, Road & BMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
650c rim frameset compatibility

I currently own a set of 650c rims and do not know what size frameset to purchase in order to assemble/create a fixed-gear bicycle.

I'm looking to do this in order to gain knowledge in bicycle mechanics, as well as see if I would like the feel of a fixed-gear bicycle. Hence, I don't want to invest a great deal of money. I would like to economize by using them instead of purchasing 700c rims.

These rims were installed on my Mountain bike a few years ago to make it more road friendly, as this was my interest at the time. Can I use 650c rims on a used/new frameset for a fixed-gear bike? I currently have a road bike (Klein Navigator - 52cm frameset) with 700c rims, as this is a good fit considering my size (I'm just under 5'7" tall). I'm thinking the 650c rims would give me more control, lower center of gravity for a fixed-gear bike, which may be more difficult to navigate than a free-wheeled bicycle. I was told by an online bike dealer that 650c rims would correlate to a 46cm frameset and that if I'm sized to a 52cm frameset with klein that I would need to go with something similar with a fixed gear using 700c rims. If this is true, what size rims do/did taller riders use for track bikes in the past or currently use? I thought all track bikes used 650c rims. Thanks for your help! Dennis