Old 01-28-07, 07:30 PM
wroomwroomoops
Sir Fallalot

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by dirtyphotons
yes, it will work. measure carefully and your gear will have a very good tension. at first. if it's fixed, the chain will get loose too quickly for your taste. for ss, if you're ok with some slack, it'll probably last long enough to work.

when i was running a magic gear, i put the new chains on that. when the chain stretched out it went on the horizontal dropout conversion, still it's not ideal. over the long term of the wheel it's probably cheaper to go with the eno.

as far as chain wear, i think it would make sense that a larger drive train would last longer. larger radius means less tension on the chain, and longer chain means more links to share the wear.
[/URL]
I agree with everything you said, except the part I highlighted in red and italic: it is true that in a longer chain, each link will wear less, but this is offset by the fact that the wear will happen on more links, causing the exact same stretch in total! The two effects are quantitatively identical, so there is absolutely no difference in total stretch.