Alex L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Emil
Originally Posted by FidelCastrovich
Nu ti dayesh...kak ti ugadal, prikol!
No problem, I read your thread about a German alloy bike, on which you mentioned Kentfield.

We're Kentfield buddies!
I love this bike, to be truthful, even though i have the aluminum version. Its a good, solid workhorse that i trust with my eyes closed, so to speak.
I think i've been persuaded to stick with the regular XT/LX stuff. Although, i must say, there are way too many options out there, as far as components go...
I would not like to comment this main stream on XT/LX hi-end stuff.
Well, I like expensive toys too. But I have never had any problems with alivio level drivetrain. It is so simple everything there that nothing to break. Their longevity is many times more then any my vacation tour. Ratio price/longevity is much better than one for hi-end groups, which have main designation to win x-country race.
Another issue is hubs. Deore is sufficient level for my purpose. And spokes – no compromise, only good brand, wheel building is also the main point. Rims – their longevity is proportional to their weight in low-end area. It is disposal element and we aren’t racers, so to have expensive ones makes no sense for vacation touring. New heavy cheap double wall rims are sufficient. I use Czech REMERX on my Marin $20 for one rim.

That's so cool, all this touring you've done. I pray and hope that some day my (soon to be) wife would accompany me on my longer rides. It sounds like a great experience.

Some time next year, my Kentfield will follow the tire-steps of your Kentfield, as i'll be riding from Istanbul, through Georgia, to Baku, Azerbaijan. I was born there, so it will be a kind of roots-searching trip to the past.
It’s nice to read, thanks. Good luck. Nostalgia, I understand.

Question - didn't the bike's handling change dramatically, with all that weight in the rear, and none in the front for balance?
I don’t feel this. It probably depends on how much stuff you carry, maybe something else like a habit. As to balance, I carry 3 liter of water and juice on my frame, there also is an option to put additional bottle cages on your fork if it is necessary, and to use handlebar bag. So balance that I have is acceptable for me. The issue discussed many times here and the bottom line is that the final solution is a personal preference, though majority is for low rider. As far as you know Russian look at reports from our tourers and you will not see front racks on their bikes at all.

I see you had aerobars, but you couldn't have ridden in that position all the time...
Not all the time of course, something like 50/50. I consider aerobars not as the means to get an aerodynamic position. This is not too important for me, but aerobars allow getting relaxed position. If one on the picture seems to you too low, there is a possibility to lift the handlebar up and to adjust the angle of a stem. My stem is adjustable.
Use of aerobars gives you a possibility to avoid drop handlebars with its cantilever brakes and front road shifting system, which is not compatible with mtn one. There are some tricks to deal with it, but you will get troubles to find rare components like bar end shifters for example.
I use brakes with pads parallel movement. This gives a bit more powerful breaking and a bit increases pads and rims longevity.

Schastlivo! Udachi v Israile.

Alexey

Last edited by Alex L; 02-06-07 at 03:47 AM.