Old 01-12-04, 10:38 PM
lowracer1
lowracer ninja master

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Avita Black Bear race Grayling Michigan late July

This is a post more geared towards the recumbent racer type of folks. There is talk that this may be a North American HPV championship race this fall.
It is a 100 mile race starting in Grayling Michigan and ending in Oscoda Michigan.
It is a very fast course......lots of downhill and downgrades, with 3 major climbs. The winning time last year by a DF was 3 hours 47 minutes.
We plan on beating this time for 2004.

I emailed the race coordinator regarding the new USCF rules. Good news. Here is his reply.

Chris -sorry for the delay on this reply.

We will not be using USCF insurance this year on our event. We appear to have adequate coverage from Rotary International. Because of that there will be no USCF requirements associated with the event (class structure etc). I have talked to Mike Hanley (our USCF contact) about this and he has wished us well and we won't be on their later schedules. I have talked to our rider/advisors on the need for a separate class for the recumbents and the general feeling is that if we have a number of them show up this year that we should do it for next year. I look forward to having as many of you as possible. My road rider advisors indicate that they believe that the recumbents can do better on the flats than the traditional two wheelers but that you will have your greatest challenge in the hills by Alcona. They don't believe that the first bike into Oscoda will be a recumbent but what do you think they would say since they are not riding a recumbent. I know that his was not the answer you were totally looking for but we would like to class you in you age group as a solo rider. Good luck on being the first rider to Oscoda.

Please let me know if we can assist you on your plans for visiting Grayling. If you need any help on locating lodging or anything else let us know.

If your really fast rider plans on riding and you have a photo of the rider and the bike we would like to do a teaser article for our paper.

Wayne Koppa
Black Bear Director

Jerry

So, It looks like they plan on hyping up the recumbent vs. wedgie thing a bit.

Here is a link to the 2003 race. The 2004 race is not posted yet.

www.grayling-area.com/bla...index.html

This would be a beautiful course for an F-40, carbon lowracer, and for the streamliner types.....

Warren? you out there..........I'll bet you could pull an almost 3 hour century on this course.

So far participating that I know of is

myself
Frank Geyer
Don Smith
John Foltz
Garrie Hill.....on faired trike
Jester Jay.......quite possibly

Anyone else interested?

Will be a good time and quite a challenge against seasoned cat 1 and 2 racers.