Old 02-09-07, 01:04 PM
!!Comatoa$ted
Senor Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by psycholist
Sounds like I should ask my doc about getting on a niacin supplement, and maybe try out the fish oil caps.
I was just reading something interesting about fish oil and niacin, in particular the role of omega 3 and 6 in combination with niacin.

Omega 3 reduces swelling in the inflammatory response, and Omega 6 enhances swelling. Initially they both compete for the same enzyme Delta-5-desaturase, but then the pathways diverge from that point on. In the inflammation reduction pathway that omega 3 oils follow, and in combination with zinc, niacin and vit. C, the pathway eventually produces leukotrienes and prostaglandin types that will reduce inflammation.

When omega 6 fats are metabolised their metabolites will eventually produce leukotrienes and prostaglandin types that enhance inflammation, and in some cases will also reduce inflammation.

If the diet is high in omega 3 they will out compete omega 6 for the D5d, and there will be less enzyme for the inflammation pathway. In effect, this will prevent cells from sticking to arteries, increase nitric oxide production, which causes vasoconstriction that lowers blood pressure, stabilise plaques, as well as other responses that lead to more compliant arteries thus halting or lessening atherosclerosis.

It appears that there are a lot of things that can be done, like eating a diet that is varied in foods that are minimally processed. Someone here has said before, that when you do groceries you should shop the perimeter.