Bike Forums - View Single Post - Opinions on Klein Quantum (2002)
View Single Post
Old 02-10-07, 09:31 PM
geekgirl

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey, I have a 2002 Quantum, which I bought in '04 for $600 -- off Ebay, so I bought it sans testride as well, just figured out it would fit based on geometry specs -- and I just *love* mine. I think the '02s are some of the last frames made at Klein's original Chehalis, Washington site (prior to Trek relocating them to Wisconsin). So, it's a bit of a collector's item, I'd imagine.

Anyway, even though it is an all-aluminum frame, mine is an awesome ride -- very stiff and light, but for some reason not at all harsh on the road. Gary Klein definitely knew what he was doing with aluminum... Mine also was full 105 spec, and I'm still using the original components. The frame is definitely worth upgrading in years-to-come, and if you haven't seen a Klein paintjob in person, you don't know what you're missing.

I'd say if you can get a family member to check out the bike in person, to verify the kind of shape it's in, then $650 isn't a bad deal -- definitely better than a new run-of-the-mill Sora or Tiagra-equipped entry-level bike, IMO.

If you have any particular questions about the bike, feel free to drop me a PM...

P.S. Oh yeah, and don't worry about the propietary bottom bracket thing the previous poster mentioned -- Klein had quit doing that by the late 90's, I think, and the 2002 Quantum definitely has a Shimano BB...

Last edited by geekgirl; 02-10-07 at 09:36 PM.