Thread: Shortest Time
View Single Post
Old 01-16-04, 01:18 PM
Maurizio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I guess I might be considered one of those guys who flies throught the ranks. BTW: I don't mean to brag by any of this, just to use myself as an example I guess... so I appologize if it comes off that way.

I started racing at 16 with no background in other sports. I didn't train very much in the off season either. I upgraded from CAT 5 to CAT 2 in under two years while my racing age was still 17. I don't think I could have done that much faster, because you need to be in a certain number of races before you can upgrade -- and that takes time.

My plan was to upgrade to CAT 1 last season (when my age was 17/18), but I was hit my a car early in the year and broke my arm. I didn't really get my fitness back untill the end of the season, and didn't have the opportunity to gain enough points for the upgrade. I did get some though.

This winter I finished going through puberty and my body has matured a whole lot, so I think I'm going to be stronger than I was in past seasons. I'm hoping to get that CAT 1 upgrade before my 19th birthday at the end of March. I'd like to be a CAT 1 while still 18.

I disagree with the notion that you need a lot of talent to get to CAT 1. To get on a division one pro outfit, yes, but a CAT 1? Although it's certainly easier to do so if you've the got the genetic advantage, I think that through hard work and grit, it's achievable by most (...I'll admit, not all) people if they have the time to put into it. That said, it takes most people (from those that I know) at least five years to get to CAT 1 -- but I suppose theoretically it's possible to do in about 2 1/2 seasons.

Roadwarrior: It seemed like you suggested that CAT 1's and 2's were professionals -- like minor league baseball -- and that they are getting paid in some way. This certainly isn't the case. I don't know a single 1 or 2 who gets paid. True, many of us get euipment, clothing and race fees supplied -- but we are still not professional in the sense that we don't get paid a wage.

- Maurizio

Edit: The youngest CAT 1 I've ever known was 17. He had been racing since 12 however, and a lot of the reason he could upgrade so young was because he has an INCREDIBLE sprint. A good sprint makes getting those points much easier -- -if you're like me, and don't have a hot finishing kick, then you need to be a lot stronger and agressive to compensate.