Old 02-11-07, 06:12 PM
lukeC

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old Suntour 3 Speed Internal - "Neutral"

Hi,

I'm rather new here. I did a search but couldn't find any info on on of these.

I bought this old Repco Folding Bike from Ebay the other day. cheap.. I was thinking of fixing it up a bit as a pub bike / something you can throw in the car when a bike might be handy..

But it has a few problems.

1. The Suntour 3 speed internal geared hub isn't working too well. - when its in the highest gear it sometimes slips into a "neutral" type gear. the pedals swing with no resistance in either direction.

how would i correct / fix this? and how do i set the gear cabling correctly - the shifter is in poor condition and seems barely functional. I may have to replace it.

Suntour 3 speed with Freewheel

The other problems -
2. The steel rear rim seems to have like a flat spot almost - it has a noticable dip in it tha tyou can feel while riding. - is this fixable? is this bad?
I've never messed with spokes or tryed to correct a buckled wheel even. - i'm a bit new to all this.

3. Does anyone have any info on these bikes?
the wheel base seems a bit short (i'm 6ft) is it going to be possible to get a reasonably comfortable ride on this bike? with longer seat post and extending the handlebars?

4. The cranks are quite short but there is clearance for a bit more. I think. so i'd like to put longer crank on it - only they are cottered cranks.. I suppose i'd have to replace the entire Bottome Bracket axle and bearigns assembly?