View Single Post
Old 02-11-07, 11:19 PM
skiahh

Bikes: 08 Stumpjumper FSR Expert, 02 Litespeed Tuscany, 04 Specialized S-Works Epic

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RonH
NO!!!
Bike shops make most of their profit on accessories and service/repairs.
After you've been a regular customer for a while the shop owner may give you an occasional break on future purchases, but don't expect it all the time.
Ah, BULL! EVERYTHING's negotiable. Customary? I guess that depends on where you're from.

I always negotiate for the price of a bike. If the shop wants the sale and can afford it, they'll come down. If they can't and I want the bike bad enough, I'll pay their asking price. That's just capitalism.

I never expect price breaks on anything. At my current shop (from whom I've never bought a bike because I move every couple of years), the owner randomly gives me discounts. I never ask, nor expect it. However, if I decide to go for a new bike while I'm here, we'll talk about the final sales price before any transaction.

Bottom line is do some research and make an offer. Make it reasonable and don't get torqued if he says no; remember, it's just business. If your budget intersects his required sales price, you have a bike and he has a customer.