View Single Post
Old 02-12-07, 10:20 PM
tsl
Plays in traffic

Bikes: 1996 Litespeed Classic, 2006 Trek Portland, 2013 Ribble Winter/Audax, 2016 Giant Talon 4

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by chipcom
<snip> People also perceive road bikes as 'sport bikes' rather than something comfy and utilitarian enough for general recreational putting around or transportation purposes. <snip> I will admit that my snow bike is a hybrid...IMO a better tool for the job than a road bike.

What I get from the 30% increase in hybrid sales is that some percentage of that increase is because more people are opting for bikes for transportation, which is good news and not a slam on road bikes.
I agree. The first bike I bought after my 35-year riding hiatus, was for basic transportation. I bought a hybrid. Heftier tires, lower gearing, more upright in traffic, rack and fenders just plain make more sense to me for the daily slog to work and grocery getting. It might be different if I lived in the suburbs, but here in the city, nothing is more than 3.5 miles away, and it's all stop-and-go.

I don't regret the decision for an instant. I've put over 3,000 miles on it in nine months in all weather and all conditions. (Keep in mind, that's rarely more than two or three miles at a whack, so it represents a lot of trips.)

That said, I just bought a roadie for stretch-out-and-crank recreational riding.