Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by bruce19
I started doing spinning last winter and am spinning now. What I've discovered is that I breeze through the classes. I even keep doing higher resistance and/or higher rpms and yet it's not that hard for me. But, when I get out on the road and do those first hills I am slower than everyone. Part of it is that I can't lose that extra 10-15 lbs and part of it is I'm 60 yrs. old and had a layoff from age 52-58. At least I think that's it. Any insights?
Yes ... I've said it before, and I'll say it again ... trainer riding (and I will include spinning in that too) is EASIER than riding outside. I know, I know ... people will try to tell me (and you) that there are ways to make trainer rides tough, and I'm sure there are ... but they'll never be as tough as riding outside.

Outside you've got to dodge potholes, fight with traffic, lean against the wind, battle the elements, climb the hills. Outside cycling is often a full-body workout. Inside, you just ride.

Incredible records for "distance" cycled in 24 hours have been set by cyclists on trainers riding inside ... records which good, fast cyclists riding 24-hour races outside can't come close to touching. That alone tells me that riding the trainer is simply easier.

There's nothing wrong with riding inside on the trainer or in spinning classes etc. ... it is definitely better than nothing ... but IMO as soon as a cyclist can get his/her bicycle outside on the road, that is the better option. And I can hardly wait till I have that option!!