View Single Post
Old 01-21-04, 09:15 PM
tommy2pants

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay_2004
You might want to hold that thought of new cables. First...Cables have a certain amount of "stretch" in them...I recommend shifting to a gear withough the wheels spinning.....just in you garage or something. Leave this over night and see if you can go to an even harder gear...with the bike still. Be carefull...but this might help in stretching the cable. ALL cables stretch a bit, but anyone correct me if im wrong. Also...the adjustments on your derailleurs are most likely just end-point adjustments. They restrict how far the chain will go on the biggest or smallest cog. There is also a barrel adjuster to shorten/lengthen the cable to have the right adjustment. If you cant figure something out then...keep trying to see if you might be able to adjust it from the handle-bars. If all else fails...try to re-posistion the cable at the derailleur in/out to what you need. IF anyone sees anything wrong with this pleas e correct me....
Yeah, most of it is off base. Your idea of cable stretching is bogus. www.paktool.com has the complete how to on derailer adjustment.start at the beginning,not somewhere in the middle.